Spectra Seeks Producer for Abundance
Spectra is looking for a Producer to help us realise our vision for Abundance, a natural, all ages, inclusive playspace on the site of the Midland Metropolitan University Hospital. Through this project, we will be working with the Birmingham 2022 Festival, a six-month celebration of creativity across the region and part of the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games.
In Abundance, Spectra, partners, and a diverse mix of local communities will co-create an interactive, multi-sensory playspace through which people can reconnect with all that nature offers. Audiences will step inside a world rich in colour, flavour, scent, texture, and the invitation for children and adults alike to move, create, grow and play. Far from a traditional playground, this open provocation with myriad access points will encourage creative engagement. Participants will find their own way through a rich sensorial experience: sound making with natural elements; walls of herbs to smell and taste; a barefoot walk to encourage a slower pace and alertness; hidden nooks and expansive arenas to spark wild imagination.
Spectra creates fierce and joyful creative interaction through authentic collaboration. We seek to cultivate a world that celebrates brains that work in different ways. Our neurodiverse company produces interactive adventures that engage all of our audience’s senses. We’ve developed a reputation for aesthetically-driven work that is both gentle and fierce, inviting our audiences to imagine intensely positive possibilities: ‘It made me laugh and cry. It was delicious in every way. Renewed my faith in the world!’ (Audience).
We are looking for someone who has the ability to simultaneously see the big picture and keep track of innumerable details, holding the work as a whole so that the creative team can focus and flourish. Someone who is incredibly well organised, warm, compassionate, has a great sense of humour, and takes initiative thoughtfully. Working at Spectra is fun and intense: you can expect a supportive, individual-focussed, laughter-filled and industrious environment. Ideally we are looking for someone who has knowledge and experience of producing outdoor events in unusual locations that include substantial building work.
Work on Abundance offers the opportunity for a step change for us in terms of scale, scope and profile. Our Producer will work closely with our Creative Director and Abundance’s Production Manager to support this growth and help us realise our vision for Abundance by undertaking the following tasks:
- Overseeing production logistics, contracting, scheduling, and logistics – independently for the community co-creation aspects of the work and closely with the Production Manager for the build and install
- Creating a marketing schedule, writing copy, updating social media and website, developing a database of press and other outlets
- Liaising with project partners
- Network and partnership development – Chief Schmoozer, nurturing positive, beneficial, meaningful relationships with new partners
- Creating a system for and gathering evaluation data – statistics, impact, economic
- Volunteer recruitment and management (to include liaison with partners)
- Risk assessment of company devising sessions, co-creation workshops, and the building and use of the play installation (including Structural Engineer)
- Supporting our Environmental, Anti-Racism, and Inclusion work – Sustainability will be a major priority and focus during all aspects of planning, delivery and in the legacy of the project; Inclusion is always at the heart of what we do and considerations of access throughout will be of the utmost importance
- Contributing to fundraising where appropriate
Our company is neurodiverse and we are dedicated to using our work to cultivate a world that celebrates difference in all its wonderful forms. Our creative process and the work we create are actively inclusive. We take the same approach to curating the pool of freelancers we work with, seeking to shift imbalanced representation within our sector by warmly welcoming and prioritising applications from Black and Brown practitioners and those who identify as working class, D/deaf, Disabled and or LGBTQI+.
Application process: please tell us why the work interests you and how your experience relates by sending your expression of interest to email@example.com. This should be no more than two sides of A4 or a 4 minute video/audio recording. If you have access requirements, please get in touch to talk about how we can support you in making your application.
When you submit your expression of interest, please also complete the equal opportunities monitoring form here: https://forms.gle/fkANEGCtBsdu8Um47. This form and your personal information will be kept separate from your application when it is reviewed by the panel.
Deadline 9am, Thursday 25 November 2021
Informal interviews will be held on Friday 3 December with a panel of three (Spectra’s Creative Director, our Creative and Strategic Development Officer, and a Board Member). We will send you the interview questions in advance.
Timeline Contract from Jan – Sep 2022 with potential to extend to another project in Autumn 2022 and, beyond that, to a permanent role.
Fee: £4,550 inclusive of travel and expenses. This is based on a rate of £175/day for 26 days.
Location: Much of the role can be undertaken remotely. Physical meetings and activity will take place in Birmingham.
YouTube Channel: Spectra Arts